Greece is well known for its islands and the endless summer but is it only that? Of course not! When it comes to a weekend trip Athens is the ideal destination and as soon as you arrive the weekend turns into a greekend! Here are the reasons why:
– A typical greekend starts with a coffee in one of the hundreds coffeeshops around the center under the sun even in December!
– Continues with a visit to the the city of Parthenon which is an open air museum. A large part of the town’s historic center has been converted into a 3 km pedestrian zone, one of the largest in Europe. It leads to the major archaeological sites (“archaeological park”), reconstructing – to a large degree – the ancient landscape. Either on foot or by bike, the ‘’Grande Promenade’’ around Acropolis is an unforgettable journey through history.
– Stop by one in of the restaurants while walking in the historic center a get a souvlaki. One of the traditional Greek dishes.
– Continue with some shopping in Ermou street, the largest shopping street in Athens or the upscale Kolonaki area.
– Choose from a Michelin star restaurant to a traditional Greek tavern and enjoy a delicious dinner.
– Continue with bar hoping in Agia Irini square or Kolonaki.
Athens is from 2-3 hours flight away from all major European cities so think no further on your next weekend. Book a greekend to Athens!
Check also Top Things to do in Athens in two days article for more!